Mike Walton
Property Maintenance



Top Quality Plumbing & Heating

We are now able to accept payment by VISA, VISA Electron, Maestro & Mastercard.

VPS Hosting             
   Home      Gas Safety
Find us on Lacartes.com 
Post your review on Lacartes.com

Gas Safety

Gas is an efficient and safe fuel if appliances are installed and maintained correctly. 
 
To maintain your appliances in a safe manner it is important to have them regularly serviced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer.
 

If you smell gas.

Turn off the supply at the meter.

Open doors and windows.

DO NOT operate any electrical switches.

Call the Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.

 

Carbon Monoxide  (CO)

Unsafe gas appliances produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause death and serious long term health problems such as brain damage.

 

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it but it can kill quickly with no warning.

In the last year, 14 people have died from CO poisoning and 234 have suffered health problems from CO exposure. This poisonous gas is released when gas appliances are incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained.

An annual safety check by a Gas Safe registered engineer will make sure your appliances are safe. This will prevent you being exposed to low levels of CO.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous substance which is produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).

This can happen if a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained or if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

You could be inhaling CO without realising it. You can't see, smell or taste it, but at high levels it can kill you in minutes. Even breathing in a small amount can cause loss of consciousness and death.

Properly managed, gas is safe. Poorly managed, gas can produce harmful levels of carbon monoxide. So always use a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Oil and solid fuels such as coal, coke, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide.

What is carbon monoxide poisoning?

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning occurs when you breathe in even small amounts of the gas.  You can't see, smell or taste carbon monoxide so you won’t know it is there.  You won’t necessarily notice the smell of gas.

If you breathe in CO, it gets into your blood stream and prevents your red blood cells from carrying oxygen. Without oxygen the body tissue and cells die.

Levels that do not kill can cause serious harm to health if breathed in over a long period. Paralysis and brain damage can be caused as a result of exposure to CO.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

Being aware of the symptoms of CO poisoning could save your life.

Many of the symptoms of carbon monoxide are similar to those of flu, food poisoning, viral infections, or simple tiredness. It is common to mistake the symptoms for something else.

Symptoms to look out for:

  • tiredness
  • drowsiness 
  • headaches
  • giddiness
  • nausea
  • vomiting 
  • pains in the chest
  • breathlessness
  • stomach pains
  • erratic behavior
  • visual problems.

Other signs that you may have CO poisoning:

  • If your symptoms only occur when you are at home 
  • Your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return
  • If anyone else in your household is experiencing any of the symptoms (including your pets) and whether they appear at a similar time

If you have any of the above symptoms:

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house
  • See your doctor immediately or go to hospital - let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning.  They can do a blood or breath test to check.
  • If you think there is immediate danger, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999

  • Get a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem.
Custom Search


For further details call us on 01344 300248 or e-mail info@mwpropmaint.co.uk